How to Apply
Admissions for Fall 2017
The 2016-17 admissions begins on June 29, 2016. Students applying for seats in SCCO’s class beginning fall of 2017 should apply during this cycle. Visit the OptomCAS online application to apply.
- MBKU’s Southern California College of Optometry requires a supplemental application in addition to the centralized application. This supplemental application is included when completing the OptomCAS application and will be submitted as part of your centralized application; therefore, when you have completed the OptomCAS application you have also completed the supplemental application.
- It takes three to four weeks before SCCO receives your verified application from OptomCAS. After SCCO receives your application, you will then be prompted via email to pay SCCO’s secondary application fee of $75.00.
- The deadline for submitting your application through OptomCAS is March 15, 2017 at 9:00 p.m. PST. To meet this deadline, thoroughly review and comply with the OptomCAS deadlines for submission of your undergrad transcripts.
- High school transcripts are no longer an application requirement.
- The last date to take the OAT and be eligible for the 2016-17 admissions cycle is March 1, 2017.
General Admissions Information
All applications are submitted through a centralized application service known as OptomCAS. By utilizing a Centralized Application Service (CAS), prospective students will file one application that may be sent to multiple schools and colleges of optometry. MBKU is pleased to be a participating OptomCAS school as we strive to make the application process more efficient and convenient for you.
MBKU requires a supplemental application in addition to the centralized application. This supplemental application is included when completing the OptomCAS application and will be submitted as part of your centralized application; therefore, when you have completed the OptomCAS application you have also completed the supplemental application.
A completed application through OptomCAS includes letters of recommendation, personal statements, the supplemental application, and all undergraduate transcripts. Please be advised to thoroughly review and comply with the OptomCAS deadlines for submission of your undergrad transcripts.
The admissions cycle runs from July 1st through March 15th of any given year.
It takes 3-4 weeks before MBKU receives your verified application from OptomCAS. MBKU uses rolling admissions (PDF), so it is best to apply early.
You do not need to have taken the OAT to submit your application; however interviews will not be offered prior to receipt of OAT scores so applicants are advised to take the test before or soon after applying. The applicant must grant permission for SCCO/MBKU to access his or her OAT scores. Applicants will also self-report their OAT scores through OptomCAS. If you retake the OAT, you must follow the same steps again. The OAT must be taken by the March 1st deadline.
As you complete the OptomCAS application, it is not necessary to have completed all prerequisite requirements such as prerequisite coursework and the OAT. To be eligible to apply, you must be on track to take the OAT by March 1 and to finish all prerequisites by the end of summer term just prior to beginning fall classes here.
If you are provisionally accepted into the program, a criminal background check is required. See our criminal background check page (PDF) for more information.
Just getting started and want to learn more about the admissions process? See our FAQs.
For further information on notice of non-discrimination, visit The Office of Civil Rights Contact Page for the address and phone number of the office that serves your area, or call 1-800-421-3481.