Although we do not have a minimum requirement, we recommend that applicants possess a minimum of the following:
- Overall GPA of 3.0
- Science GPA of 3.0
- 1000 hours of verifiable, direct, hands-on patient care experience.
A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university, or an equivalent institution as determined by
Marshall B. Ketchum University, is required for admission.
Applicants educated outside the U.S. must utilize a transcript evaluation service to verify their degree and course work. The academic record must show credits and grades equivalent to those given by U.S. institutions of higher learning.
The following courses must be completed at a regionally accredited institution in the U.S., with a grade of “C” or better and are the minimum requirements for all applicants. A "Pass" grade will also be accepted.
12 semester or 16 quarter credit hours of Biological Science courses which must include:
- Microbiology w/ lab
- Human Anatomy w/lab (Must be taken in the last 7 years)
- Human Physiology w/lab (Must be taken in the last 7 years)
- Biological sciences, any area
One course (3 semester or 4 quarter credit hours) of each of the following:
- Biochemistry or Organic Chemistry
- General Psychology
Genetics (no lab required)
Advanced Placement (AP) credits will be accepted for Psychology and Statistics.
All prerequisites must be completed at a college or university accredited by one of the U.S. regional accrediting associations. Please see Accrediting Institutions for a list of those associations. To verify a college or university accreditation, you are advised to visit their website.
Online Course Policy
MBKU accepts prerequisite lecture courses completed online through regionally accredited colleges or universities. Please see Accrediting Institutions for a list of those associations. No virtual labs are accepted however hands-on, take-home labs will be accepted. If you have any questions or would like to verify that a specific lab meets our requirements, please e-mail email@example.com.
Requirements In Progress
Applicants may submit their CASPA application with two prerequisites in-progress. However, all admissions requirements, degree, and coursework prerequisites must be completed by December 31. Applicants should be aware; some universities have lag times in producing official transcripts which could impact their ability to be considered for admission.
Health care experiences will be considered on a case-by-case basis and dependent upon the quality of patient interaction.
Examples of preferred clinical experiences:
- Back Office Medical Assistant (MA)
- Certified Nurses’ Aide
- Clinical Care Extender
- EMT (patient care hours only)
- Licensed Vocational Nurse
- Military medic or corpsman
- Occupational Therapist Aide
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Radiological Technician
- Registered Nurse
- Respiratory Therapist
To be eligible to apply to MBKU, foreign/international applicants must fulfill these requirements:
- You must have completed all the prerequisite courses in either the U.S. or Canada. Please note that even though you have taken the prerequisite courses as part of your undergrad degree in a foreign university, you will need to repeat the prerequisite courses at a college or university in the U.S. or Canada.
- You must send all non-U.S./Canadian transcripts to CASPA (the centralized application service utilized by PA programs).
- While the prerequisite courses are not accepted from a foreign university, the transcript to verify a degree and license is required. Applicants should have their foreign (Non U.S./Canadian) transcripts evaluated by one of the approved services and the evaluation forwarded to CASPA.
- The TOEFL must be completed and official scores submitted to MBKU using the school’s code: 4893.
Scores from the Graduate Records Examination (GRE) are not required. Applicants who have not earned a baccalaureate degree from a regionally-accredited institution must also submit official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), regardless of the official language of the country in which the education took place or the predominant language of the degree-granting institution. Scores should be sent directly using Marshall B. Ketchum University Code 4893. Minimum scores are noted below:
- Reading 22/30
- Listening 22/30
- Speaking 26/30
- Writing 24/30
We do not accept previous experience or medical training for advanced placement in the PA program. All students are expected to complete all didactic and clinical elements of the program.